Avast! - Outperform Expensive Competitors
When I worked on a consulting project for a department of California, I found that the State pays a lot of money for expensive anti-virus software like McAfee. However when a PC got infected by malware even with McAfee up and running, the systems administrator had to install the free Avast to clean it up. Avast is the only anti-virus tool that you can start to scan during system reboot and kill infections before OS back to work.
Avast! Free Antivirus software is said to often outperforms its competitors’ paid-for products and is the effective protection anyone should have against viruses and spyware. It is a very popular download by home users for basic protection on the net.
Avira - Falun Gong's Protective Umbrella
The spiritual movement and pro-democracy group called Falun Gong is brutally persecuted in China. Their websites and members' computers in North America are frequently attached by Chinese communist party sponsored hackers. Facing this challenge, Falun Gong recommends members installing this "little red umbrella" - Avira Free Antivirus since they have figured out that it is the best against Chinese communist hackers.
Avira Free Antivirus is the company's entry-level antivirus, but it is powerful enough to eliminate many forms of malware, including worms, rootkits and costly dialers. It provides real time protection. We are convinced that it it can protect Falun Gong from Chinese communist hackers, it got to be good.
AVG Anti-Virus Free - #1 for Good Reason
AVG Anti-Virus Free edition ranks #1 in CNET Download.com site. This software is perfect for casual surfing, searching or social networking on your PC. It blocks viruses and spyware while you are on the net. Millions of people around the world use AVG Anti-Virus Free for their basic online activities. Whether it’s surfing the Internet, conducting web searches, or simply keeping up with friends on Facebook, AVG Anti-Virus Free has got you covered. The following is highlight of cool functions you get from the free software:
- Surf and search with confidence AVG LinkScanner’s® real-time protection
- Stay protected on social networks with AVG Social Networking Protection
- Enjoy a faster running PC: AVG Smart Scanning works while you’re away and runs in low-priority mode when you return
- Stay up-to-date with the latest threat information from the AVG Community Protection Network and AVG Protective Cloud Technology
Ad-Aware by Lavasoft has a fully functional free version that features complete malware protection. For over a decade, Ad-Aware is used as a free tool of full powered anti-virus + anti-spyware with no strings attached. Once installed, it automatically updates new virus definitions to protect latest virus attacks. It is a trusted alternative to expensive anti-virus software subscriptions.
Check out some of the great features offered by this free software:
- Comprehensive Anti-Malware Detection: A power-packed combination of advanced anti-spyware technology together with traditional anti-virus to provide comprehensive malware protection, including protection against virus, spyware, blended malware, trojans, rootkits, hijackers, keyloggers, and much more.
- Ad-Watch Live! Basic: Integrated real-time process protection blocks malicious processes and infected programs that try to start or run on your system, to prevent them from further integration in your system.
- Genocode Detection Technology: Based on heuristics, genotype allows Ad-Aware to stay one step ahead of today’s ever-evolving threats, as well as threats that have not yet been created. For in-depth information on this technology, please click here.
- Behavior-Based Heuristics Detection: Extra Sensory Protection allows you to go a step beyond detecting known threats – the heuristics detection finds and blocks unknown and emerging threats and stops deceptive malware and cyber thieves before they attack your personal information.
- Rootkit Removal System: Cutting edge anti-rootkit technology protects you from hidden threats and stealth attacks that are designed to gain access to your system by avoiding detection.
- The Neutralizer: Advanced removal tool combats malware that attempts to restore itself even after rebooting your system.
- Detect, Remove and Repair: Ad-Aware intelligently cleans your system by removing all traces of the infection.
- The Scheduler: Automatic scan set to your personalized schedule to optimize time and resources.
- Simple Mode allows you to set and forget – by using our expert recommended settings, no interaction is needed from your part, making using the program as easy as possible.
Advanced Mode lets you customize all the settings as you choose, to tailor everything to your specific needs.
- Lavasoft SmartSet: Let the experts at Lavasoft guide you. Lavasoft SmartSet makes scanning and cleaning as easy as possible – by providing settings for scans and recommended actions for found infections. All you have to do is set and forget.
- External Drive Scanning: Scan your external storage device, iPod, USB’s, or any other drives that you connect to your PC for an additional layer of security.
- Pin-Point Scanning: Quickly identify whether a suspicious file is safe or malicious – Right click any file or folder to perform an immediate scan, or send it to ThreatWork Alliance for analysis.
- Automatic Updates: Continuous pulse updates to guard your privacy against cyber attacks.
Malwarebytes Anti-Malware is a next-generation anti-malware program that can quickly detect, destroy, and block malicious software. Malwarebytes Anti-Malware can detect and remove malware that even many of the most well-known anti-virus and anti-malware applications on the market today cannot. From time to time there tough and scary malware such as "Win 7 Internet Security 2012" coming out, once infected, it's hard to get rid of. When McAfee is helpless, Malwarebytes does the job.
We've used Malwarebytes Free Version to remove "Win 7 Internet Security 2012" successfully. The site of bleepingcomputer.com has detailed instructions. The free version does not provide real time protection though. The PRO version of Malwarebytes Anti-Malware monitors every process and stops malicious processes before they even start. The scanner and realtime Protection Module both use our advanced heuristic scanning technology to keep your system safe and secure against even the latest malware threats.
ThreatFire is an easy-to-use application designed to protect your computer against malware such as viruses, trojans, spyware, rootkits, keyloggers, and buffer overflows by intelligently detecting and blocking behavior consistent with that of malware. It is totally free and offers real time protection.
ThreatFire does this by constantly monitoring your system, and analyzing programs and process activity. Whenever ThreatFire detects any unusual process or activity, it will display an alert with further information on the threat. If it is a known threat, then ThreatFire will automatically quarantine the malware and no further action is required on your part. If the threat is unknown, or new, then ThreatFire will display an alert and prompt you to "Allow this process to continue" or Kill and quarantine this process" or "Kill this process." All alerts provide detailed information to help you make an informed decision.
Virus Total (Online Virus Scan Tool)
Virus Total is a free online service that analyzes suspicious files and URLs and facilitates the quick detection of viruses, worms, trojans, and all kinds of malware detected by antivirus engines. Money Maker Discussion recommends scanning files by VirusTotal before sharing. If you get an archive file but not sure if it is save to extract, then Virus Total is handy for a quick scan. It can handle files up to 32MB.